From IVP Wiki
Consensus statement work
- What consensus statement(s) could foster collaborative action toward a community-sustaining “new stories” ecosystem?
- 1. Define the ecosystem in terms of principles
- 2. Identify actions that embody those principles
Properties essential to a sustainable system
Properties of Outlets
- Journalistic Ethics (Accuracy and credibility. Need to be able to convince the public of shared set of facts.) -> How to measure good journalism
- Sustainable revenue models
- Community on all sides (Readers, funders)
- Editors that prioritize news that serves the community.
- Journalists that wish to empower and educate.
- Diverse funding sources -> Can news be considered a utility?
- Strong firewalls
- Diversity in where journalists come from and see themselves (citizen, professional)
- Adequate audience
- Risk-taking outlets / go against the zeitgeist and public opinion
- Outlets take on a diversity of roles
- Communication between government and the public
Properties of Institutions within the ecosystem being studied
- Transparency of the institutions they are holding accountable
Properties of the readers
- High readership
- High civic literacy - Media literate public (SUNY, Queens University)
- High Digital literacy
- High civic engagement (since it drags everything else along with it.)
- Relevance - You cover the right story
- You offer media literacy
- Diversity - Natural diversity of voices
- Institutional transparency
- Civic Health
Properties of the ecosystem
- Channels to share content
- Number and diversity of voices
- Diverse funding sources
- Audience concentrators / mechanisms to gain reach.
- Reward Risktaking
- Instability / experimentation.
Authored by Tom Glaisyer