Re-inventing delivery of news in mobile so that it meets the needs of digital natives, without regard to legacy platforms and methods, and does not require a personal device to access. Envisioning the 21st Century Newsbox as tablet kiosks in public places.Champion: Matt Galligan.
- Need digital devices in "common places" to smooth out the loss of a daily newspaper, or declining print readership.
- Common places may be libraries, grocery stores, food banks, shopping malls, parks, etc.
- Devices would be primarily by the publication that's providing them
- Devices would likely be an iPad with Guided Access enabled to prevent anything but visiting the sponsoring publication's website or app.
- Other aspects of the devices can also be sponsored: web access, location, etc. and can provide primarily placement of advertising either physically or digitally
- No new technology is needed to be written by the publication, as it's just using their existing applications, websites, or RSS feeds.
- Matt Galligan / Ben Huh's Circa starts beta trials (GigaOhm, Oct. 13, 2012)