WIKI HOME / FACEBOOK HOME / REGISTRATION PAGE / CONFERENCE HOME / PROGRAM SCHEDULE / SESSION NOTES / TRAVEL/HOUSING / VIDEO STREAM / WHO'S PARTICIPATING / FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE (requires login) / TWITTER STREAM / PHOTO STREAM / PHOTO TAG / REFERENCE LINKS
DINING OUT (or where we can eat on Saturday night)
We're all going out to dinner on Saturday night. We suggest the following near-campus spots -- the first group recommended by our Detroit hosts -- as venues for "birds of a feather" dinners on Saturday night. It's "Dutch treat" -- cover your own bill. On Friday morning, we'll post signups for these restaurants, and you can put you name on the place you like based upon cuisine or meeting ambiance.
- Union Street Restaurant, 4145 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, 313-831-3965. / HISTORY / [1.pdf MENU DOWNLOAD] / across from the Majestic Theater. Sunday brunch from 11:30 a.m.
- The Woodbridge Pub, (REVIEW), 5169 Trumbull St., Detroit, MI 48208, (313) 833-2701 MENU, Yelp listing. It's just on the other side of the Wayne State football field -- so only few blocks away. It's the closest on the recommended list.
- Traffic Jam & Snug, 511 West Canfield St., Detroit, 313-831-9470 (REVIEWS). Featues a brew pub, in-house bakery, multi-level dinning rooms, and made-from-scratch menu. [(VIEW MENU)
- The Majestic Cafe, 4120-4140 Woodward Ave., Detroit, 313-833-9700, is both an entertainment bar and restaurant (featuring local food), open until 2 a.m. and features a Sunday brunch in a light, sunny environment.
- Cass Café,, 4260 Cass Ave., Detroit, MI 48201, 313-831-1400, a bar, restaurant and art gallery, serving soups, salads, vegetarian dishes, folk group performances and poetry readings. YELP REVIEWS / Not open on Sunday until 5 p.m. Free wifi. (DOWNLOAD MENU).
- The Whitney, 4421 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48201, (313) 832-5700. American cuisine. Pricey (entrees: $28-$37). Housed in an elegantly restored, 52-room mansion built in 1894. Diner menu (PDF) features pork, chicken, prime rib carving station, lamb, veal, quiches, salads and baked goods. Open Sunday from 11 a.m. for brunch (BRUNCH PDF-$29 prix fixe). / PDF ADVERTISEMENT W/PHOTOS.
- Starters is a sports bar @ 6 blocks from campus
Other options (not rated)
- Mario's Restaurant, 4222 2nd Ave., Detroit MI 48201, 313-832-1616. Since 1948, fish and pasta are specialties. "An unpretentious Italian restaurant." / (YELP REVIEWS) / west of Woodward, south of Warren, between Willis and Canfield.
- Motor City Brewing Works, 470 West Canfield, Detroit MI, 313-832-2700. A college bar environment, with typical fare, including brick-oven pizzas. Also just a couple of blocks southeast of campus.
- Wasabi Korean and Japanese Cuisine,, 15 East Kirby St., Detroit, MI 48202, 313-638-1272. ($9-$15). (REVIEW) / (PHOTOS0
- Lefty's Lounge, 5440 Cass St., Detroit, MI 48202, 313-831-5700, is a sports bar -- a favorite of Tigers team members. Also right next to campus to the east.
- Pizzeria Venti,, 655 West Kirby St., Detroit, MI 40202, 313-831-2808 is right beside the Towers dorm complex and is part of a small national chain.
- [Campus Restaurant.] 5470 Cass Ave., Detroit, MI 313-832-4817.
- Beans & Bytes Cyber Cafe,, 4200 Woodward St., Detroit, MI, 313-833-9870. Coffee shop -- just sandwiches. Free wifi; closes at 8 p.m.