PRIVACY . . . ADVERTISING . . . COMMERCE . . . PERSONALIZATION
What is the Information Valet Project?
The Information Valet Project at the Reynolds Journalism Institute has been working to help organize an information-industry collaborative -- tentatively named the Information Trust Association -- to build, own and operate a shared-user network layered upon the basic Internet. The InfoTrust network might:
- Allow end users to own, protect — and optionally benefit by sharing — their demographic and usage data, with the help of their competitively chosen “information valet”
- Update the role, effectiveness of, and compensation for online advertising and marketing services
- Allow online users to easily share, sell and buy content through multiple websites with one ID, password, account and bill.
“We’ll start creating frameworks in law, governance, marketing, advertising, technology, user identity and transactions for the Information Valet Economy,” says Densmore. “It should be a place where companies compete to provide personalized service to users, yet share those users, and where they make money referring those users to content — and advertising — from almost anywhere.”
Key value propositions
- Connective tissue for otherwise siloed advertising, personalization and syndication efforts (Yahoo, QuadrantONE, AP, Berkman-VRM, Shibboleth). Enables a shared-user network for demographics, privacy, content, advertising.
- Method for sharing – yet maintaining and extending value -- of account relationships with segment of 50 million print subscribers for an array of value-added web and wireless services. New revenues from content sales and advertising and sponsored-content views.
- Framework for sharing permission-based demographic profile and personalization information across corporate silos. Revenue from higher CPMs from advertisers and from referral fees for user ownership.
- Tracking, aggregation and settlement of advertising and content syndication relationships by anonymous but unique user. Value ad services to consumer based upon “valet” advisory because of permission-based knowledge about where and what they do on the web.
- KEY BLOG: http://tinyurl.com/6nbz9q
- NEWS (pdf): http://newshare.com/blueprint.pdf
- MORE NEWS: http://tinyurl.com/6jtjpr
- SLIDESHOW: http://tinyurl.com/569au7
- CONCEPT VIDEO: http://tinyurl.com/6zguf8
- NINE-MINUTE VIDEO: http://tinyurl.com/5k8qw8
- ABOUT REYNOLDS: http://tinyurl.com/6zkzr4
- FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid33838408751
- TWITTER: http://twitter.com/infovalet
- RSS FEED: http://feeds.feedburner.com/infovalet
LINKS TO 2008 KICKOFF GATHERING
- THE MIT GATHERING REPORT: http://mediagiraffe.org/mit
Bill Densmore, Research Fellow
Reynolds Journalism Institute
University of Missouri
Columbia MO 65211
- ABOUT DENSMORE: http://tinyurl.com/densmore